Sunday, 22 May 2011

Directors - North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways Company

The table below shows the directors of the NWNGR Company from its inception to Russell's death in 1912. 
Directors North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways Company
North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways Company Directors
Bulkeley Senior was replaced by his son at death in June 1875. He was a prominent Anglesey landowner.

Chaloner William Chute (1838-1890) was a barrister and quarry owner and also director of Moel Tryfan Rolling Stock Company. His family lived on the Vyne Estate in Hampshire

Charles Davison (1822-1908) owned a firebrick company (Ewloe Barn Brick and Tile Works) and was a prominent ship owner based at Connah's Quay, Director of Hawarden & Dist. Water Works, Halkyn District Mines Drainage Co. etc. See here for more information

Ernest Lake was a solicitor; later Chairman NWNGR Co. (following Russell)

James Szlumper ex Director Vale of Rheidol Rly, Civil Engineer to NWNGR and Vale of Rheidol

Menzies was managing director of the Alexandra Slate Company

Sir Llewelyn Turner ( 1823 - 1903 ) was prominent in the municipal life of Caernarvon , of which he was mayor on two occasions; he was knighted in 1870. He was the founder (1846)  of the Royal Welsh Yacht Club so shared an interest with Russell , deputy-constable of Caernarvon castle (and served as sheriff of Caernarvonshire , 1886-7. He married in 1878 , Agnes , daughter of G. Bell. More information - festipedia entry and Welsh Highland Heritage Journal June 2012 and biography by J E Vincent published in 1903 and now available again 

Livingston Thompson (1810-c.1874) was an attorney in Dublin became the largest shareholder in the Festiniog Railway Company and sat on the board until 1874.

James Hewitt Oliver (1823-1902) was a lieutenant-colonel in the Dublin militia and the son of Admiral Robert Dudley Oliver and with his three brothers and a sister, inherited the Goosey Estate, Stanford in the Vale, Berkshire.

Hugh Beaver Roberts was a prominent landowner (including the Croesor Estate) and solicitor in North Wales and was closely involved with the Festiniog Railway and the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways Company. The Croesor Tramway, that later formed part of the Welsh Highland Railway was constructed by Roberts in the 1860s.

Abraham Fitzgibbon (1823 – 1887) a civil engineer, who became the Engineer-in-Chief of the Queensland Railway in 1865. Fitzgibbon served an apprenticeship with a leading civil engineer in Ireland, and had considerable experience in railway surveying and construction in Ireland, the United States, Canada, Ceylon, India and New Zealand. He lived at The Rookery, Stanmore, London and died aged 64 at Moorside, Bushey Heath, Hertfordshire

Most of the above information from 'Narrow Gauge Railways in South Caernarvonshire' by James I. C. Boyd, published by Oakwood Press
Welsh Biography On Line here
History of Berkshire here
More details on Chute, Lake and Szlumper in other parts of this Blog.
Details of the others will be added as information becomes available

Saturday, 14 May 2011

Russell's Steam Yachts

According to Lloyd’s Yacht Register J.C. Russell owned two yachts, Gryffin and later Rona (built in 1900 by Chamber Bros, Cartsdyke, Greenock), although there is no record of him owning Madge despite the evidence of a sailor wearing a jerkin carrying the name 'Madge'. More research required!

Thanks to Mike Porter of the Scottish Maritime Museum